Never in my wildest dreams did I ever imagine that there would be any kind of connection between my trip to China last summer and my time in Guatemala this semester.
For one thing, I don't even look like the same person.
For another thing, I didn't even know there were Chinese people in Guatemala. Kind of like I didn't know there would be Africans in China. You would think being an International Studies major, I would be a little more aware of this thing called globalization....
Anyway, you can imagine that when I heard we were going to a Chinese church for lunch today, my head started spinning as I pondered how confusing it would be for me to see Chinese people speaking Spanish.
I was picturing myself going around practicing what little Chinese I remember.
"Ni hao, wo shi mei guo ren....Hola, soy americana....Hello, I'm American."
It turns out that the couple who planted this church is a Chinese couple from Canada who used to be missionaries in Peru. Woah. I want to have dinner with them and hear about how God has lead them all over the world.
The food was even the perfect mix between Chinese and Guatemalan. White rice, but not sticky white rice. Chinese red sauce and won tons with mystery Guatemalan meat inside.
After eating lunch, we sang for a little bit. I had never heard the Spanish version of "God of this City," but it was really powerful being lead in worship to this song by Chinese youth in Guatemala. God is using people from all over the world to reach the people of Guatemala. Greater things are yet to come here.
....And then we played lots of running around screaming games.
I mainly bonded with the girls who (just like I was when I was little) had good excuses for not wanting to run around.
Roxie "fixed" my hair. I always ask the girls to play with my hair. I just love it. Even when I end up looking totally ridiculous and having to leave it in so they don't get their feelings hurt.
I kind of want to take her with me when I leave in a week.
This weekend has really been a blessing to get to spend fun time with the girls. It's hard to think about moving on to another project in a week, because it has honestly taken a month for them to really feel comfortable with me. I'm no longer the new girl, or the novelty, but someone who has been around for long enough to actually open up to. And now I'm leaving.
Praying that God will use this last week here for His glory and I wouldn't pass up any Gospel opportunities!
No comments:
Post a Comment